Lee's Fishing Page
MAINE - Life in the Slow Lane
Welcome to Lee's Fishing Page
Friday, March 29 2024 @ 12:46 AM EDT
54 posts :: Page 1 of 6
By: Ziggyz (offline)  Thursday, February 09 2012 @ 03:31 PM EST (Read 27159 times)  

well it has begun its here now i am looking for information on how to get started ...... will keep this post going with my progress as i do the build ..excited to get started i even like the colors i picked out for the wraps .....

Let the fun start ..........

+Hunting and Fishing "Thats What I Do"

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Ziggyz

Group Comfort
Level:
: +5
By: LeeGoldsmith (offline)  Thursday, February 09 2012 @ 03:49 PM EST  

Ziggy

What size rod did you say this was and what weight??  Hope it comes out as nice as the one Nic did.  I guess you will be leaning on him a bit for help.  Hope to see progress in the next week or two and then maybe we can fish a mountain stream together this summer.

See Yah
Thanks
Lee

Lee Goldsmith

Site Admin
Acton, Maine
Life in the Slow Lane

E-mail: Lee Goldsmith

Forum Admin
Admin

LeeGoldsmith

Group Comfort
Level:
: +7
By: Ziggyz (offline)  Thursday, February 09 2012 @ 03:58 PM EST  

Its a 6'6' 3 wt hoping it comes out as nice as his rods ...... time will tell may meet up with him this weekend for a few .

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Ziggyz

Group Comfort
Level:
By: T_Bone (offline)  Thursday, February 09 2012 @ 06:06 PM EST  

Well it looks like it will be a great stream rod!  I think your thread colors will look great.  So I wouldn't worry about that at all.

Theron

T_Bone

Forum Salmon
Salmon

T_Bone

Group Comfort
Level:
: +4
By: Koda (offline)  Thursday, February 09 2012 @ 06:21 PM EST  

Ziggy

I LOVE the "tats" on the freezer Big Grin  That looks like a good size stripper guide, just what you need to shoot the line. A 3 weight is a pisser IMO for the smaller waters, but I've fished em on the Pemi in Bristol and got into some serious fun when Mr Big decided to chew on my fly.

Gun it Bro, we're all dieing to see the resultsThumbup

"Life is a journey, not a destination. Take the time to enjoy the gifts of the Great Spirit along the way." Coug2wolfs ~ Dances With Bears

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Koda

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Ziggyz (offline)  Thursday, February 09 2012 @ 10:12 PM EST  

well i got started today shortly after it arrived, here is the progress thus far......

Me finding the spine of the blanks .

Once i found the spine i messed around a little just dry fit some pieces on with old reel i have laying around ....

Another of the dry fit.....

Next i watched the viedo the co. has on its web site about fitting the reel seat , then i started preperations for reel seat.

The tape (arbor) is just a build up to make things tighter , just snug with little space for expoy to get around

Then the fit up to make sure it was snug....

With the fit up complete, happy with the results, i sat down to get ready for the expoy ... i read and re-read directions cause this is where the rubber meets the road so to say Smile had to be just right so i took my time ....

See the instruction viedo in the background i found on you-tube LOL.... getting ready for the mix....

Here is a shot just after i applied the expoxy and was holding it up and down for a few til started to set it took a while i kept making sure it lined up with the marks i have made must have messed with it for 30 min or more .... i let it set some then installed the butt cap .....

At this point all good ... it is currently setting and awaiting the next part, which will be handle install. I will be doing that tomorrow night after fishing ..... then it will sit and i will pick it back up on Tuesday when i am home alone so i can take my time with no DISTRACTIONS .....not that i had any today but my daughter is comming up and like to spend time with her while she is here ....

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Ziggyz

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Ziggyz (offline)  Thursday, February 09 2012 @ 10:24 PM EST  

T-Bone ,

yep i was excited when the colors arrived, exactly the way i want it , now if i can get the wrapping thing down, well see how it looks, planning on green for guide wraps with smokey gray as ends on the green against the slate black should look kick butt...... i am hoping so anyways, may do test spot just to make sure, as i remember thats what nic said he did. only time will tell.

Tthe possibilites are endless as far a decrotive type things they have out there, prob gonna incorporate my name with hand painting . prob try to paint wt and length .... and have some ideas for a saying LOL "Brookie slayer"  may be one ha ha.  

Koda ,

Yep gotta love the tat as you would say Smile cheaper then the ones i have on my back thats for sure Smile the freezer has been decorated by my son and myself over the years and has come in quite handy for the game we harvest .......

As far as the Rod i can't wait to get it finished and see what it can do, i have a feeling i will be going after some larger fish with this rod Smile perhaps it will grace the mascoma and hook into one of them 14-18" trout that reside  there ... the true reason for this rod will be for going after wild brook trout and will be the 1st action it see's and will continue until i land a few fish then i may see how she does .... thinking it will throw some smaller Dry's just fine ...... of course this will be a whole new world for me jumping down 2 wts ....

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Ziggyz

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Koda (offline)  Friday, February 10 2012 @ 08:29 AM EST  

Ziggy

It's lookin good already!  I predict you will be hooked when you get loose on the water with that rod and into the first fish. Dropped 2 lines sizes? I started out with a 7 weight years ago and now my favorite rod is a 2 weight.  Some kind of fun !

"Life is a journey, not a destination. Take the time to enjoy the gifts of the Great Spirit along the way." Coug2wolfs ~ Dances With Bears

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Koda

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Ziggyz (offline)  Saturday, February 11 2012 @ 04:55 PM EST  

Went fishing today for a bit and when i got home i put on the handle , it was pretty simple i had already dry fitted it prior and just had to mix epoxy and apply, twisted handle into place and added cap . Starting to look like a fly rod Smile

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Ziggyz

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Koda (offline)  Sunday, February 12 2012 @ 11:29 AM EST  

Somehow, I don't believe you'll ever buy a commercial assembled rod again. Once you see what goes into building a rod you realize how skizzeled we get when we buy em off the shelf from the big boys.Big Grin

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Koda

Group Comfort
Level:
54 posts :: Page 1 of 6