Lee's Fishing Page
MAINE - Life in the Slow Lane
Welcome to Lee's Fishing Page
Wednesday, April 17 2024 @ 09:41 PM EDT
6 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Ziggyz (offline)  Monday, January 23 2012 @ 06:43 PM EST (Read 2837 times)  

Koda,

On hooks i always use #10 sized hooks easier for the trout to get in there mouth , also easier to pull out ha ha , the sharpest hooks i have ever seen, come on the rapala ice jigs they stick to your skin even just barley brushing up against them.... gotta be careful with them suckers ..... i change my hooks out at least every 1/2 a dozen trips and use them to tie flies with the used ones , i have tried to hone them myself but don't have the knack for it , so i just put new ones on when in doubt usually when the rainbow or other trout have it in there mouth and are running i cross there eyes and seem to do pretty well , again rainbows are hard to catch Ice fishing most challenging fish i can think of in my mind ....

+Hunting and Fishing "Thats What I Do"

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Ziggyz

Group Comfort
Level:
: +5
By: T_Bone (offline)  Monday, January 23 2012 @ 09:56 PM EST  

They really messed with my head that is for sure!!

T_Bone

Forum Salmon
Salmon

T_Bone

Group Comfort
Level:
: +4
By: Ziggyz (offline)  Tuesday, January 24 2012 @ 08:48 AM EST  

Yep it happens , fishing is fishing not catching Smile you will get them we will try again sometime soon i awill be there most of the weekend i am guessing and on monday for sure less people there got he hot spot figured out and abpout the time to be there seems like yesterday they were hitiing all day but it really heats up around 4 ish. Weather is gonna be great all week for the Ice mid 30s low 40's will feel like spring Ice fishing ....

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Ziggyz

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Ziggyz (offline)  Wednesday, January 25 2012 @ 11:13 AM EST  

ok back to the hook thing they must sell a fool proof way to sharpen your own hooks ? but i have done little research on this and was looking to see if anyone does this on regular basis, i used to fish with a guy that told me his father woudl sharpen all his hooks new or otherwise and had good luck doing so , i tried with a file and little instruction and prob made them dull not sharper ha ha ....

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Ziggyz

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Koda (offline)  Wednesday, January 25 2012 @ 03:23 PM EST  

Ziggy

For the smaller hooks use a tool makers file. Forged hooks have conical points. What you want to do is come in on the sides of the barb and make the inside a wedge shape just like you'd sharpen a Traditional Broad Head. File up towards the tip of the hook.  You can get it needle sharp and the back cutting edge will allow the hook to sink home with very little force. I like to stone em after with a fine white Arkansas stone and get them really polished. You'll be amazed at the difference in hook ups.

The Owner hooks I was telling you about have the barb 90 degrees from normal, in other words, real thin. A fish sniffs the hook he's done.Mr. Green

"Life is a journey, not a destination. Take the time to enjoy the gifts of the Great Spirit along the way." Coug2wolfs ~ Dances With Bears

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Koda

Group Comfort
Level:
: +4
By: Ziggyz (offline)  Thursday, January 26 2012 @ 12:54 PM EST  

funny i just looked threw the new bass pro shops advertisment ..... i cannot find size #10 hooks in any make besides eagleclaw?hmmmm WTF ha ha don't people trout fish .....

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Ziggyz

Group Comfort
Level:
6 posts :: Page 1 of 1