Lee's Fishing Page
MAINE - Life in the Slow Lane
Welcome to Lee's Fishing Page
Tuesday, April 30 2024 @ 04:49 AM EDT
7 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Koda (offline)  Wednesday, December 07 2011 @ 01:36 PM EST (Read 3324 times)  

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!  Where do I start. Ah, the wood. Yepper, had James come over from "Doodleberry" with his Kabota and we got all the wood up save 4 cords or so before we burried the tractor. Dave and that freakin rain Mr. Green

With that out of the way and the wood put up in the shed it was time to take on the deer hunting. I hunted a 17 kilometer area that hasn't seen a chainsaw or a skider in over 200 years. Everything from mountain ridge tops to cedar swamps and everything in between. I tracked it each day in Google Earth and I come up with over 40 kilometrs of wear on the boots for the season.  I never saw another hunter the whole season, had the woods all to myself.

I hunted all but 2 days when I was so sick I had all I could do to stand. I took on one mountain and got a hundred meters from the top before it became obvious I couldn't climb 90 degree granite walls. When I came down I slid on my ass for a few hundred meters, right through the mountain dogwood. Got sweat soaked and caught a damn cold. I polished off two bottles of Jack Daniels to get rid of the thing, it took two full bottles to kill the germs Big Grin

I saw a pile of deer, 21 of them I could have killed, all does. Saw 3 moose, and a good bear. Narry a buck one. Found old inactive scrapes and rubs. The scrape activity told me the rut was long since passed, at least where I was hunting.

We got a good 8 inch snowfall at one point, the wet cement stuff. It dripped out of the trees for 3 days.  I picked up 3 good buck tracks coming down from the ridges I was hunting, all heading for the lows.  Back tracked one of them for a few clicks to try and figure out what he'd been up to. Typical ridge runner, all over the place and no pattern.

Bout half way through the mountain climbing I started to feel the weight of the ole Marlin 35 Rem. So I jumped on line one night and took a look at a BLR in 308. Had one some years back and it was a light rig. Yah, $1150. WTF!! Browning has got to be on crack! Just goes to show how far out of control this country has gotten.  Of course I passed on that one.

At one point I found a good beech grove and decided to take a stand. Within an hour my feet were so froze I liked to cried. Talked to my Bro In Law and he said get a set of LaCross Burly boots. So I did. I love the boots but, like most of the half ass stuff coming out of China the left boot leaks. I'm sure Cabela's will replace them so no big yank there.

Did find a small swamp near the end of the season that had a LOT of sign. Wally had the Primos46 (trail/game camera) on sale so I grabbed one. Should be interesting.  They also make this stuff called Swamp Donkey. When I saw the video I near pissed my pants. Check it out.

So once I get caught up on all the stuff that went by the wayside while I was out chasing Bambi's Ole Man I'll be back in the thick of it with you varmints. Give me a few days to catch up.
BTW- We really need to take a hard look at the buck law in NH, it's causing a major imbalance in the deer herd just like it did in Vermont.
Oh, and I do like Ron Paul's latest ad. ..."If you want to drain the swamp..."  Myself, I'd change that to...If you want to drain the cespool Mr. Green

"Life is a journey, not a destination. Take the time to enjoy the gifts of the Great Spirit along the way." Coug2wolfs ~ Dances With Bears

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Koda

Group Comfort
Level:
: +4
By: Dave V (offline)  Wednesday, December 07 2011 @ 01:38 PM EST  

Holly crap he's back he's back . Welcome back Koda thought we lost ya. Dave V

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was
cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time.
On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words,
and some of the words are theirs.

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Dave V

Group Comfort
Level:
: +7
By: LeeGoldsmith (offline)  Wednesday, December 07 2011 @ 01:50 PM EST  

WELCOME Back old man.

Sure has been somewhat slow around here without you on board each day.  Take you time getting back to speed, not much has changed since you disappeared.  So from what I gather from your post you did not get a deer?????????  Thats not a good thing.

We have the fly swap setup and you can get up to speed on that with the posts in the Fly Tying Section of the forum.  Hope all was well for Thanksgiving for you and do hope you have a great Merry Christmas and a Very Happy New Year.

Glad to see you back.

See Yah
Thanks
Lee

P.S. That video ad is a hoot, I can just see Koda now with a bowl of that stuff, making all those strainge noses.

Lee Goldsmith

Site Admin
Acton, Maine
Life in the Slow Lane

E-mail: Lee Goldsmith

Forum Admin
Admin

LeeGoldsmith

Group Comfort
Level:
: +7
By: Koda (offline)  Wednesday, December 07 2011 @ 02:30 PM EST  

Oh I could have gotten a LOT of deer. Only problem is I wasn't keen on seeing Heidi the fishcop when I got out to the truck. They were all bald!

I started getting creative towards the end of the season. Hell, why go in a click and then dog leg to get to the beech stand. So I took  a short cut about 46 degrees NW.  Bout a half a click in I get a wiff of wicked doe piss.  Ah shit I think, I busted my bottle of doe piss. Nope, it was in tact.  Looking down I'm standing in about a barn yard of deer pellets. Hmmm, time for the super sneak.

Short time later I peek over a small ridge and near rolled a 7! There's eyes and ears and legs and deer all over the place! After scoping out 14 of them with no horns they decided to split. Now if there would have been a buck in the area he sure would have been having some fun with those gals. Course after 14 of em he'd probably be dead and not fit to eat Mr. Green

Oh I got plans for next season. I'm gonna start pinning em to the ground come September Surprised

When my Pa had the dairy cows I used to sample the Dairy Ration 16, the citrus pulp was pretty sour, the stuff with molasses wasn't bad. Hell, I'd eat some of that Swamp Donkey, figger I could get a buck to try and take me on.  An jest before we lock horns....surprise surprise surprise!  Out comes the 454 Casul Mr. Green

"Life is a journey, not a destination. Take the time to enjoy the gifts of the Great Spirit along the way." Coug2wolfs ~ Dances With Bears

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Koda

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Ziggyz (offline)  Friday, December 09 2011 @ 08:59 AM EST  

Welcome back ..... Gald you had some action hunting sounds like you covered some area . too bad no deer for the freezer but its not always about that , at least to me anyways .... Looking forward to seeing the posts when you start pinning the deer to the ground should be real interesting LOL again welcome back Smile you got some to get caught up on enjoy, see you around

+Hunting and Fishing "Thats What I Do"

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Ziggyz

Group Comfort
Level:
: +5
By: Koda (offline)  Friday, December 09 2011 @ 02:42 PM EST  

Ziggy

I hunted with a kid years back that was launching "broom sticks" from a PSE compound bow....tuned right at 100 pounds! Believe me, he did in fact pin em to the ground Laughing Out Loud

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Koda

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Ziggyz (offline)  Friday, December 09 2011 @ 04:53 PM EST  

Quote by: Koda

Ziggy

I hunted with a kid years back that was launching "broom sticks" from a PSE compound bow....tuned right at 100 pounds! Believe me, he did in fact pin em to the ground Laughing Out Loud

"My god" was he practicing for an african safari ? trying to kill an elephant ? HA HA i used to think that way and had a bow cranked up to 75 lbs which is way too much Smile i use to throw aluminum broom sticks my self Smile Now getting older and the newer equipment they have you can pull 55 lbs and get same if not better performance out of it. i have come down in weight pulled every bow i have gotten i came down in weight finally at my lowest i have hunted with at 60lbs will not go less i want to try to get a moose at some point . 

Archery is alot of fun and nicer to shoot less weight whe you shoot often. My next challenge will be traditional equipment ... few more years and i will be trying that Smile  

+Hunting and Fishing "Thats What I Do"

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Ziggyz

Group Comfort
Level:
: +5
7 posts :: Page 1 of 1