Lee's Fishing Page
MAINE - Life in the Slow Lane
Welcome to Lee's Fishing Page
Thursday, December 12 2019 @ 06:28 AM EST
7 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Ziggyz (offline)  Wednesday, November 09 2011 @ 04:58 PM EST (Read 1094 times)  

Well guys sorry for the delay , finally things seem to be slowing a little and i can see the light at the end of the tunnel .

My deer hunts this year as you are aware have been short one day trips in morn and afternoons. luckly i had time to scout so i knew where there were a few deer around and with the time i had and going to be moving soon i couldn't be as picky as i usually am.

Oct 29th just after are historic snow storm i get home from work at 430   and decide i would head up back   to sit for a couple of hours to see if anything is moving in the fresh snow. i get up there about 445 and see fresh tracks in the snow headed towards my stand but clearly from hours before so i was a little discouraged i sat until dark with no sightings to be had. nice to be out in the cool air but wierd with the snow.

Oct. 30th sunday morn i decided to sleep in some and make the family breakfast and do some stuff around the house, about 8 am i sneak out back to sit for a couple of hours wind blowing and snow falling off the trees all around me not a real fun couple of hours i decide to head home and hang with the wife and daughter .

At 2:30 i decide to get suited up and get out there early i checked time to hunt app and it showed the peak of activity would be around 3:00 pm until 6:00 pm for my area , based on the lunar charts i figure what the heck lets test the theroy again and see if it is still true . I slowly make my way to my stand nice and early it is nice out snow has mostly fallen off trees and wind has died down sun was out , had a stiff northeast wind and figured perfect ,the deer come from in front not down behind me which is in the northeast direction , so i settle in , i get to see the joys of nature making there ways threw the snow , chipmunks , red and grey squirrles , and even a beautiful red fox and this all before 3:15, i was happy and had a good feeling for some reason , i had been seeing this smaller buck big body really no rack to speak of and i decided the 1st time i saw him if he gave me a decent shot i was gonna end it and fill the freezer.

Pictured above is the deer i eventually ending up harvesting . he showed himself to the cam after the 1st encounter i had with him i actually mis jugded this deer and shot right over his back on the 15th of Oct. was his lucky day i guess and my mistake .

So back to my story i am sitting there i figure around 4 i would try some calling and took my gloves off to get calls out , to my surprise LOL of course i drop my gloves and realize its going to be colder in an hour or two decide even though i didn't want to i would get down and get them figure hmmm its early enough no harm. i get down get back up and sit tight looking around for any sign of deer that i may just scared into the next county but no flags all was well . AS i sat for the next 45 min or so i thought back to the weekend just before my 2nd encounter with the spike , this time from same stand i think he was a bit wiser then me that evening he walked out and around the trail 40 yards out and was too dark for an accurate shot so i watched his outline slowly walk towards his bedding area hmmmm he got me again , but this time if he comes back i will have the upper hand .... funny how your mind wanders while in the stand with anticipation of game walking by . i always play out all the secnerios for the shot long before they come to happen it helps me relax because to this day i still get all shook up when a deer comes in even if i don't plan on harvesting it LOL it is equal to the tug is the drug saying about flyfishing. ok back to the stand now 4:45 i am getting anxious i sit for 15 min and decide i am going to try the can call (doe bleat) and throw a couple of grunts out there also, mise well ? For some reason i had stood up it was 5:00 pm on the dot i made a few calls and wait, scanning the area for any movement out in front of the stand , nothing oh well i decide to look over my shoulder and low and behold its spikey standing about 18 yards away in the area i never expected to see them and didn't have any lanes picked out or yardages figured , i take a deep breath and watch him as he was trying to sniff the air to see where the ladies where Smile or so he thought . we played cat and mouse for what seemed like for ever by this time i already picked out a 6" opening threw the thick stuff and quickly realize its only 18 -20 yards . Here is what i was looking at.

To say i was less then impressed with my chances,would be an understatement , i figure i now had the challenge of getting my body in position and still have to grab my bow on same side of tree as the deer , i watched him closley and made very subtle movemenets to get my feet lined up and ready then i grabbed my bow ever so slowly and clip on my release by now i swear he can hear my heart  throbbing LOL . Now its his move i only have one shot and he has to walk into the lane sure enough he takes a step towards it and i realize this may happen , i draw my bow and hold, (for like a year ) prob only about a min or so ,  2 more steps is all i need and sure enough he walks right into the lane and stops like it was rehearsed, i settle the pin just behind his last rib slightly quartering towards me , and i thought he was more Quartering away,  i let it fly, " loud pop"  is all i hear and he springs off and is out of sight in a second or 2 .... now the shakes and going over shot in the head starts,  i was just getting a text from my wife about dinner and didn't want to let the cat out of the bag until i knew for sure i had a good hit . i ignored her and looked down at the clock wow i thought all that just happened in under 7 min and it seemed like an hour. i was excited to get down to see what i could find for some sign i waited 15 min or so and climbed down and walked to where the deer was standing hmmm see his tracks no blood i look closer to find a pile of hair good sight i follow tracks to edge of clearing and find what i was looking for .... see below

Hair

So at this point i can now call the wife and daughter and tell them i have blood i was excited to say the least,  it was a month long battle with this young deer, (keeps me going out year after year, fun game)  big ones are so much harder to kill. I head back to the stand and meet up with the wife and daughter and we start to track him, i follow him not too far before i find the 1st great clue my arrow shaft no broad head but i can see the shaft went all the way up to the knock and i know it was a pass threw of sorts the blood was comming from other side of animal that i shot .

We head a little further to see the tail of a deer run off i figured by now this is him and we back out , we went home and decided to give him a couple of hours not knowing exactly where the shot was and that he already laid down and we jumped him told me he was hurt pretty bad, we headed back to the house and had dinner and decided to grab the lights and head out once more to see if i could recover him , my daughter and i spent 1.5 hours walking slowly from spot to spot of blood trying to be quiet just incase he was bedded down and wanted to jump up, we followed his track to my neighbors driveways and decided to wait until morn to go further , we had good blood in a bed we found and i knew he would be long for this world , i hate leaving them with all the dogs in the woods now adays but it worked out to be a great decision . i got up early the next morn and went out at 1st light talked to my neighbor to let them know why i was walking around there driveway . i quickly located his track and small amount of blood and followed him to find him about 30 Yrds from where we left off .

This is how i approached him

After closer inspection,  just as i had suspected hit just behind last rib but went out quartering away missed guts and vitals but hit main artery which had him bleed out quickly . hes not the biggest buck in the woods i actually figured him for about 115 but was surprised when i registered him and had him weighed he topped the scales at 140# 2 pointer LOL i am happy with my deer for the type of season i have had to hunt got to see many deer in the short season i had . enjoy a couple more pics of my meat for the freezer.

The end Smile

+Hunting and Fishing "Thats What I Do"

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Ziggyz

Group Comfort
Level:
: +5
By: Nic (offline)  Wednesday, November 09 2011 @ 05:07 PM EST  

Nice story Ziggy!  

Nice to see you got one this year.  I'm not a hunter myself, but I can imagine my heart about to beat out if my chest as I waited there in the stand!  Thanks for sharing!

-Nic

p.s.  Are you limited to one deer in NH?  I'm no hunter so I don't have a clue what the law says?

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach

Forum Grilse
Grilse

Nic

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Ziggyz (offline)  Wednesday, November 09 2011 @ 05:13 PM EST  

no actually you can shoot up to 4 deer in NH with all the tags 2 for archery one for muzzleloader/rifle and they sell doe tags for area m which is south like manchester area to help keep population down near the city and in the southern part of the state . Thanks nic and we should get together soon before i move to exchange your book and a package of deer meat for you to try Smile 

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Ziggyz

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Nic (offline)  Wednesday, November 09 2011 @ 05:16 PM EST  

For sure!  Sorry to hear you will be moving, but not too far away.  Well still have to get together and fish in the spring for sure!  When do you move?

-Nic

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach

Forum Grilse
Grilse

Nic

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Ziggyz (offline)  Wednesday, November 09 2011 @ 05:30 PM EST  

we will be all moved in down there for the 19 of Nov. right across street from contoocook river not far from ffo section and hunting shop we goto to shoot our bows . its only about 30 min from here not too bad i wanted to stay on the 89 side of the state . still woodsy for me small town quiet LOL its a college town so should be quiet a couple of months a year .....

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Ziggyz

Group Comfort
Level:
By: LeeGoldsmith (offline)  Thursday, November 10 2011 @ 07:38 AM EST  

Hi Ziggy

Just got time to read your whole story, well done young Man.  Many moons ago and I mean Many, my first deer I killed was with a Bow, down in New Jersey.  I don't hunt anymore, stopped after my father could not hunt anymore and now with him gone I don't have much interest in it.  That's not to say I don't appreciate those who do, because i think it is a wonderful sport like fishing is.  I really like the way you finished the story.

"The end Smile"

Thanks for sharing this with us.

See Yah
Thanks
Lee

Lee Goldsmith

Site Admin
Acton, Maine
Life in the Slow Lane

E-mail: Lee Goldsmith

Forum Admin
Admin

LeeGoldsmith

Group Comfort
Level:
: +7
By: T_Bone (offline)  Thursday, November 10 2011 @ 04:01 PM EST  

I love the thrill of the hunt.  And it might jsut take soem more time with you to get me back into into it.  I'm sure there won't be much of a shove necessary.  I loved to hunt, but sadly despite my names greek origin "the hunter," I usually spent more time watching squirrels and cutting up other people's kills back in the day.  So I moved here and sort of let it slip away like history.

After talking with you briefly however I decided to enroll in the archery course here in NH, and now can officially obtain a an Archery tag here.  If I'm going to hunt it will be by arrow, and of course shotgunning for turkey!  Those are my two favorite forms of hunting as you must get really close and personal with your quarry.

BTW Nic...  I am glad to have ZIg a little closer to me.  That means as you can probably tell a little more outdoor time companionship for me.

I'll get to shoot my bow again!!!

But still I would like to get together with you as well.  I really want to put my hands on that rod you built and really check it out if that is okay with you.

Theron

T_Bone

Forum Salmon
Salmon

T_Bone

Group Comfort
Level:
: +4
7 posts :: Page 1 of 1