Lee's Fishing Page
MAINE - Life in the Slow Lane
Welcome to Lee's Fishing Page
Wednesday, May 01 2024 @ 01:30 AM EDT
32 posts :: Page 1 of 4
By: Koda (offline)  Tuesday, September 27 2011 @ 02:42 PM EDT (Read 13847 times)  

Click to view image

My Buddy down in NJ did another suicide run to NY in quest of the Fall run.  This is his report:

"No fish in the river.  No water either if you can believe it.  I fished hard all day this past Saturday and got nothing.  I saw three fish caught all day long.  I saw four individual salmon swimming up river but they were straggler single fish.  Two of the three fish I saw caught were ok legal hooked a third one was tail hooked and the guy had to release it.  I fished hard all day from 6:00 am till 5:45pm with zero results.  I saw just two salmon jump during the day.  I ponied up $ 45.00 bucks American to fish the best section of the river in the Douglaston Manor Salmon Run.  They had forecast some rain that turned out to be a drizzle early in the morning but by the late afternoon it was back to beach weather with not a cloud in the sky.  If they get no rain this week they will get no fish in the river.  Plus the upper reservoir is too low to increase the flows to try and trigger a run.  It might be a season like they had in 2007.  The DEC wound up netting the fish in the lake for hatchery eggs.  At one point I was fishing a section of the Douglaston Run where you could see up and down the river over a hundred yards in both directions and I was the only guy fishing!  Everyone else was sitting on the banks waiting for the run to start!  At one point later in the day I started to move further down river towards the estuary and Lake Ontario.  After I got tired of fishing one spot as I headed towards the shore six of the guys on the bank gave my an ovation for at least trying!  When I got down to the spot I wanted to fish there was four guys on the bank sitting there so I asked them if it was ok to try the spot right in front of where they were sitting.  They told me they hammered it most of the day with no luck and it was ok to give it a shot.  I raked it for a good half hour then hung it up for the day.  Third time was not the charm.  Three strikes you are out in most any game but this is becoming a quest."

This guy knows the river, knows the fish, and it's a rare day when he does not rack em up.  Seems hard to believe with all the rain we got up here in New England  that the Salmon River is low.  My guess is if they do run he'll be there.  Will keep posted as it develops.

"Life is a journey, not a destination. Take the time to enjoy the gifts of the Great Spirit along the way." Coug2wolfs ~ Dances With Bears

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Koda

Group Comfort
Level:
: +4
By: LeeGoldsmith (offline)  Tuesday, September 27 2011 @ 02:53 PM EDT  

Koda

Thanks for the report.  Does not sound good for the rest of the fall.  We really could use a little more rain our selves her, need to keep the Merrymeeting flowing good for the run that will come sooner or later.

Thanks again for the report.

See Yah
Thanks
Lee

Lee Goldsmith

Site Admin
Acton, Maine
Life in the Slow Lane

E-mail: Lee Goldsmith

Forum Admin
Admin

LeeGoldsmith

Group Comfort
Level:
: +7
By: Koda (offline)  Tuesday, September 27 2011 @ 03:01 PM EDT  

I'm bummed right out Lee. At $9/lb for Salmon here in NH I was going to burn some gas and grab a couple of those monsters from him and smoke em up.  He's good. If they run he'll nail em.

"Life is a journey, not a destination. Take the time to enjoy the gifts of the Great Spirit along the way." Coug2wolfs ~ Dances With Bears

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Koda

Group Comfort
Level:
By: LeeGoldsmith (offline)  Tuesday, September 27 2011 @ 03:04 PM EDT  

Quote by: Koda

I'm bummed right out Lee. At $9/lb for Salmon here in NH I was going to burn some gas and grab a couple of those monsters from him and smoke em up.  He's good. If they run he'll nail em.

Smoked Salmon (and Trout is better) YUM!!!!   YUM!!!!

See Yah
Thanks
Lee

Lee Goldsmith

Site Admin
Acton, Maine
Life in the Slow Lane

E-mail: Lee Goldsmith

Forum Admin
Admin

LeeGoldsmith

Group Comfort
Level:
By: caddisfly4 (offline)  Tuesday, September 27 2011 @ 03:24 PM EDT  

Koda thanks for the post. I head up in November myself and was watching to see how things were going. Pray for rain.

"THE TUG IS THE DRUG"

Living the Dream, Tight Lines

BILL

Forum Salmon
Salmon

caddisfly4

Group Comfort
Level:
: +5
By: Koda (offline)  Tuesday, September 27 2011 @ 03:35 PM EDT  

Quote by: caddisfly4

Koda thanks for the post. I head up in November myself and was watching to see how things were going. Pray for rain.

I will pray much to the rain Gods to unload in the Salmon River. We got more than enough here in Hill NH, it won't even drain off anymore the ground is saturated.

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Koda

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Dave V (offline)  Tuesday, September 27 2011 @ 04:19 PM EDT  

Rain ?  All you had to do is ask.  I have this really neat rain dance.  Isn't that right Lee ? If  Lee has forgotten I will explain to you newbies all about it. Watch out neighbors here I come .

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was
cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time.
On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words,
and some of the words are theirs.

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Dave V

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Koda (offline)  Tuesday, September 27 2011 @ 04:22 PM EDT  

Quote by: Dave V

Rain ?  All you had to do is ask.  I have this really neat rain dance.  Isn't that right Lee ? If  Lee has forgotten I will explain to you newbies all about it. Watch out neighbors here I come .

You get water in that river Dave they will have a statue made of you out of gold and put it on the Douglaston Run!

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Koda

Group Comfort
Level:
By: stephen (offline)  Tuesday, September 27 2011 @ 08:23 PM EDT  

Hi All

You will have to insist that Dave V. posts a photo of himself doing the rain dance...

But it will have to be posted on a day that Lee does not have access to a computer.   Big Grin.

Happy Fishing and Tying

Forum Salmon
Salmon

stephen

Group Comfort
Level:
: +5
By: Dave V (offline)  Tuesday, September 27 2011 @ 09:27 PM EDT  

Quote by: stephen

Hi All

You will have to insist that Dave V. posts a photo of himself doing the rain dance...

But it will have to be posted on a day that Lee does not have access to a computer.   Big Grin.

Laughing Out Loud Stephen remembers . Just hope I don't have a kink in my neck when I am doing my dance , Last time Maine got 2 feet of snow.  I feel the need to please here comes the rain

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was
cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time.
On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words,
and some of the words are theirs.

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Dave V

Group Comfort
Level:
32 posts :: Page 1 of 4