Lee's Fishing Page
MAINE - Life in the Slow Lane
Welcome to Lee's Fishing Page
Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 04:22 AM EDT
58 posts :: Page 1 of 6
By: T_Bone (offline)  Sunday, August 21 2011 @ 12:27 PM EDT (Read 27778 times)  

I thought like another forum I was recently on we should have a post that displayed anyone's recent flies that they wanted to show and ask about. 

I am a pretty improv sort of guy and fly by the seat of my pants when being creative.  That being said most of my flies are not patterns but ideas that I have gotten from looking at other flies elsewhere.

Please feel free to share and post.  I know I would enjoy seeing other people's work and I bet there are plenty of others who would love to learn from seeing what others have done.  It certainly helps me. 

Being new to it I often times have to ask what what materials were present in a tie.  I'm just not that good at recognizing the materials, even sometimes intheir raw form, so please list materials, for my sake.  LOL.

So here is an example:

Click to view image

Click to view image

Click to view image

So I was not sure what I was going to do here, but I started with a heavy tinsel, which I thought I would wind in orange floss around the hook's back, but that looked bad so I settled for just the orange, so I gues it is slightly weighted.  The tail is mallard flank.  I then took some green dyed deer tail and used the light portion for the throat and the dark portion as a wing.  The wing casing I used green dyed mallard flank.

I think it is pretty if nothing else.  I have no idea whether or not it will actually catch fish.  Especially in my area, but it was fun to tie and asthetically pleasing.  

I hope I used all the correct terminology here, as I am still learning.  But as you can see the portion I calle dthe wing casing did not turn out the best.  It isn't symetrical side to side and ond side started wider and ended up folding on it self so I then made the other side to mimick its width.

I hope you all enjoy this and continue to post here.

Thanks

Theron 

T_Bone

Forum Salmon
Salmon

T_Bone

Group Comfort
Level:
: +4
By: Dave V (offline)  Sunday, August 21 2011 @ 12:42 PM EDT  

T-bone the best part of fly tying is coming up with your own patterns. Especially when you hook fish once you try them. The flies you are tying look very much like classic wet flies. I believe you will be very successful on the water with them. I will add some my inventions once I get back to the bench. I haven't been tying much this year but i have some great ideas . I think this forum will be a good one. I hope all the users on Lee's site will contribute. It will be very interesting . Dave V

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was
cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time.
On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words,
and some of the words are theirs.

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Dave V

Group Comfort
Level:
: +7
By: T_Bone (offline)  Monday, August 22 2011 @ 07:46 PM EDT  

Well folks.....  I know you are out there and you must have some flies either in the vice or that have been filmed in the vice from last winter.  Show em if ya got em!

I am just curious to see what other people are tying.  The how, why and where conversations can follow the picture. 

Thanks!

Theron

T_Bone

Forum Salmon
Salmon

T_Bone

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Dave V (offline)  Monday, August 22 2011 @ 07:58 PM EDT  

My verzion of WD-40

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Dave V

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Dave V (offline)  Monday, August 22 2011 @ 08:05 PM EDT  

My First Grey Ghost

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Dave V

Group Comfort
Level:
By: stephen (offline)  Monday, August 22 2011 @ 09:32 PM EDT  

Hi Dave

Nice grey ghost....

Happy Fishing and Tying

Forum Salmon
Salmon

stephen

Group Comfort
Level:
: +5
By: Dave V (offline)  Monday, August 22 2011 @ 09:36 PM EDT  

Stephen that was from last year my first attempt at one.  I thought it came out OK but not near the caliber as yours or Mikes.  I plan on getting some bigger Jungle Cock to make the fly look a bit better. I still have a long way to go when it comes to classic streamers. Thanks for the compliment though. Dave V

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Dave V

Group Comfort
Level:
By: T_Bone (offline)  Tuesday, August 23 2011 @ 12:02 AM EDT  

Dave,

I think your grey ghost looks great!  What sort of beads did you use on them WD-40's?  I have only ween tungsten, copper and solver ones thus far.

Also not to sound stupid, but what does WD-40 stand for?

Thanks for sharing.  Its good to see other people's work.  It gives one ideas, and brings up questions like materials and techniques.  All these things are still new to me, and the more exposure I get from the gang here, means the more confidently I can tie and discuss tying.

Theron

T_Bone

Forum Salmon
Salmon

T_Bone

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Dave V (offline)  Tuesday, August 23 2011 @ 07:04 PM EDT  

Good Question . What doe's WD-40 stand for ?   You know I will have to ask around I don't really knowEmbarrased.  My guess the color of the beads are called gun metal . So maybe its the color of WD-40 in the water. I think when you spray WD-40 in the water it looks like gun metal or in  gas color.   I can't remember if the beads were tungsten but I do they are called gun metal in color. Hope that Helps Theron . I will try to find a better answer from a freind who taught me the fly. This fly is a great dropper fly under a caddis. Dave V

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Dave V

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Nic (offline)  Tuesday, August 23 2011 @ 07:21 PM EDT  

Here some recent stuff I've tied.  Some Buggers based off of Ziggy's success with the peacock herl.  Also a stonefly I tied up a little while back.  

-Nix

Click to view image

Click to view image

Click to view image

Click to view image

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach

Forum Grilse
Grilse

Nic

Group Comfort
Level:
: +5
58 posts :: Page 1 of 6