Lee's Fishing Page
MAINE - Life in the Slow Lane
Welcome to Lee's Fishing Page
Monday, May 13 2024 @ 07:00 AM EDT
17 posts :: Page 1 of 2
By: LeeGoldsmith (offline)  Monday, June 09 2008 @ 09:06 AM EDT (Read 6776 times)  

Hi All

Fished all day on sat. and I mean all day, got up at 5am and got home at 10:30pm. I fished the Saco and Ellis rivers in the North Conway area, and also did a short time on the Wildcat River in Jackson. Fished the Saco early and had no luck at all, not much moving and it may have been because the river was up, had gone from under 600cfs to almost 900cfs. Did see some flies hatching, red quill's and some caddis. So after fishing the Saco I went to North Country Anglers for a visit and a few flies then up to the Ellis to see what was happening there. I stopped first at the warehouse pool and tried a nymph, and managed to hook a Rainbow Trout about 10 inches. Then I noticed that fish were rising in the pool so I switched to a red quill and had a ball. I had the pool all to myself and fished just this one pool. In about an hour or so I had hooked and released 6 fish, 4 brookies and 2 rainbow's. I then thought that the Wildcat river should be checked out, so off to the Wildcat and I changed to my small rod a 7 ft 4 wt for small streams. Fished for about an hour and managed to hook and release about 6 fish, as well as missing serveral others. One fish was a stocked fish about 8 inches and the others were wild. I think the river will be premo in July. So back to the Ellis and I thought I would try under the cover bridge in Jackson, nothing happening and I did manage to fall into the river. I was lucky because I had my digital camera with me and was able to keep it dry (pictures to be posted later tonight). So I decided to go back to the warehouse pool and try it again, stopped at Kringles and got a sandwich and eat that at the pool and sure enough the fish were rising like clock work. Finished the sandwich and then proceeded to catch a few more fish with one brookie being 13 inches, my best fish of the day. I fished here until around 4:30pm, meet the young man who is working for Bill and Janet at the North Country Angler and had a good conversation over some fishing stories. I left and proceeded back to the Saco with the hope of a good hatch in the evening. The river had fallen quite a bid in the day and so I proceeded back to were I was fishing in the morning, behind the golf course. As I was walking down there, about a good half mile, I started to feel these things all over my arms and I thought the misquito's were going to be alfull. But low and behold it was not misquito's but may flies all over my arms, hundreds of them. I thought that this may be a good sign of a large hatch in the evening, but this was not the case. There was a hatch but not real large and surely not a spinner fall as we had hoped for. I meet up again with Chris Major who I fished with in the morning and we fished together for the evening. As it got dark the fish did become more active and Chris managed one real nice Brown about 15 to 16 inches. I only managed one fish a 10 inch rainbow that did jump about three times. It became so dark that at the end I was not able to ty a fly on so the evening was over for me.

Lee

Lee Goldsmith

Site Admin
Acton, Maine
Life in the Slow Lane

E-mail: Lee Goldsmith

Forum Admin
Admin

LeeGoldsmith

Group Comfort
Level:
: +7
By: Dave V (offline)  Monday, June 09 2008 @ 11:30 AM EDT  

Sounds like you had a full day of fishing Lee. Glad to see you out and about. Looking fwd to your pictures. I might get out thursday myself. Can't wait to see how high the water has gotten. A few days without rain should bring things down rather quickly. I did hear the Lakes rose about six feet. I hope that is true.
Dave V

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was
cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time.
On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words,
and some of the words are theirs.

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Dave V

Group Comfort
Level:
By: LeeGoldsmith (offline)  Monday, June 09 2008 @ 11:36 AM EDT  

Most of the pictures are of the rivers not fish, I tried several times to get a good picture of the fish and they would not cooperate with me. I did get one good picture of the stocky in the Wildcat River.

They will be posted tonight.

Lee

Lee Goldsmith

Site Admin
Acton, Maine
Life in the Slow Lane

Forum Admin
Admin

LeeGoldsmith

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Anonymous: GreatBay ()  Monday, June 09 2008 @ 12:01 PM EDT  

Nice report Lee.
I'm anxious to get up to the Wildcat with my little one to fish. We've been working on a proto-type 6' and 6.5' fiberglass fly rod in 1,2, and 3 weight- perfect for fishing for those small brookies.
Dave G

By: LeeGoldsmith (offline)  Monday, June 09 2008 @ 12:03 PM EDT  

Dave G

The Wildcat and the Upper Ellis are going to be at their best in late June or early July. Use Elk Hair Caddis fly. Fish all the pockets, there will be a lot of nice fish this year.

Lee

Lee Goldsmith

Site Admin
Acton, Maine
Life in the Slow Lane

Forum Admin
Admin

LeeGoldsmith

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Mike (offline)  Monday, June 09 2008 @ 08:25 PM EDT  

WTG Lee glad you got some fish'n done Mr. Green

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Mike

Group Comfort
Level:
: +5
Scotia Canada
By: Anonymous: bigtrout24 ()  Wednesday, June 11 2008 @ 02:35 PM EDT  

Sound like a great trip lee I used to ski wildcat mountian when I was a yonger lad that is beautifull country.
Big Grin
Jake

By: LeeGoldsmith (offline)  Monday, June 16 2008 @ 11:58 AM EDT  

Here is one link to the photo's from the Wildcat River. Others later tonight or tomorrow.

Saco River June 7, 2008

Ellis River June 7, 2008

Wildcat River June 7, 2008

Lee Goldsmith

Site Admin
Acton, Maine
Life in the Slow Lane

Forum Admin
Admin

LeeGoldsmith

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Dave V (offline)  Monday, June 16 2008 @ 12:03 PM EDT  

Nice pictures Lee, I really like the Brookie
Dave V

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was
cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time.
On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words,
and some of the words are theirs.

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Dave V

Group Comfort
Level:
By: LeeGoldsmith (offline)  Monday, June 16 2008 @ 12:48 PM EDT  

Quote by: Dave+V

Nice pictures Lee, I really like the Brookie
Dave V

Can you believe that was a stocked fish??? They have so much color you would think they were wild but the fins give them away.

Lee

Lee Goldsmith

Site Admin
Acton, Maine
Life in the Slow Lane

Forum Admin
Admin

LeeGoldsmith

Group Comfort
Level: