Lee's Fishing Page
MAINE - Life in the Slow Lane
Welcome to Lee's Fishing Page
Thursday, April 25 2024 @ 03:45 PM EDT
4 posts :: Page 1 of 1
By: Ktbone (offline)  Tuesday, April 01 2014 @ 07:06 PM EDT (Read 1580 times)  

Met up with Tbone well before the sun came up to try our hand at some opening day salmon.  We decided to hit the Silver lake inlet in Lochmere, normally productive and crowdwed.  Well this year temps are cold and water is low, not good for encouraging those silver devils to leave the deeps.  We hit the water exactly at the opening moment, one our before sunrise, water was 34* and the air was 29* that makes for a cast twice and clear the ice situation.  We got a few early hits but nothing would hookup.  As the sun came out so did the others, soon we were looking upstream to see some lucky sole landing a nice bow... It was our Ziggy!

I joined him to catch up and fish the pool he was working, landed my only fish of the day from that pool, a little 12" bow.  I managed a good hook up with a nice salmon but with iced up guides and drag he broke me off in no time.

So no fish or pictures to speak of but I did catch up with some old friends and made plans for some future trips.  

-Keith
All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Ktbone

Group Comfort
Level:
: +6
mind...back in a
minute
By: Dave V (offline)  Tuesday, April 01 2014 @ 07:13 PM EDT  

Quote by: Ktbone

Met up with Tbone well before the sun came up to try our hand at some opening day salmon.  We decided to hit the Silver lake inlet in Lochmere, normally productive and crowdwed.  Well this year temps are cold and water is low, not good for encouraging those silver devils to leave the deeps.  We hit the water exactly at the opening moment, one our before sunrise, water was 34* and the air was 29* that makes for a cast twice and clear the ice situation.  We got a few early hits but nothing would hookup.  As the sun came out so did the others, soon we were looking upstream to see some lucky sole landing a nice bow... It was our Ziggy!

I joined him to catch up and fish the pool he was working, landed my only fish of the day from that pool, a little 12" bow.  I managed a good hook up with a nice salmon but with iced up guides and drag he broke me off in no time.

So no fish or pictures to speak of but I did catch up with some old friends and made plans for some future trips.  

Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. . Your temps will be going up soon and with that the water levels as well. Good to hear you all meeting up for some fishing . What were you getting your hits on ? Streamers ?

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was
cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time.
On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words,
and some of the words are theirs.

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Dave V

Group Comfort
Level:
: +7
By: Ktbone (offline)  Tuesday, April 01 2014 @ 07:50 PM EDT  

Early hits on streamers and my hook up was on an olive wooly bugger.

-Keith
All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Ktbone

Group Comfort
Level:
: +6
mind...back in a
minute
By: Dave V (offline)  Tuesday, April 01 2014 @ 08:07 PM EDT  

Quote by: Ktbone

Early hits on streamers and my hook up was on an olive wooly bugger.

Ya my guess with water temps like that I doubt they will be hitting dries . Maybe a nymph .

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was
cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time.
On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words,
and some of the words are theirs.

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Dave V

Group Comfort
Level:
: +7
4 posts :: Page 1 of 1