Lee's Fishing Page
MAINE - Life in the Slow Lane
Welcome to Lee's Fishing Page
Friday, March 29 2024 @ 01:43 AM EDT
12 posts :: Page 1 of 2
By: Shaun H (offline)  Tuesday, May 21 2013 @ 08:00 AM EDT (Read 7144 times)  

Anyone have any experience with Striped Bass fishing with flies? Ill be visiting my inlaws on the Maine coast soon and was thinking of giving it a try.  Any suggestions on line, flies or techniques would be great.

Forum Fry
Fry

Shaun H

Group Comfort
Level:
: +3
By: LeeGoldsmith (offline)  Tuesday, May 21 2013 @ 09:20 AM EDT  

Hi Shaun

I have fished for stripers many times in the past.  A 7 wt or higher rod is what you need.  I like using an intermediate sinking line.  Use big fly like deceivers.  Hope this helps.

See Yah
Thanks
Lee

Lee Goldsmith

Site Admin
Acton, Maine
Life in the Slow Lane

E-mail: Lee Goldsmith

Forum Admin
Admin

LeeGoldsmith

Group Comfort
Level:
: +7
By: Shaun H (offline)  Tuesday, May 21 2013 @ 10:00 AM EDT  

Thanks Lee, exactly the kind if info I was looking for.  I'm thinking about the mouth of the Saco or some of the inlets in Wells.

Forum Fry
Fry

Shaun H

Group Comfort
Level:
By: LeeGoldsmith (offline)  Tuesday, May 21 2013 @ 11:05 AM EDT  

Try the mouth of the Mousam river in Kennebunk (Parsons Beach), can be very good at times.

See Yah
Thanks
Lee

Lee Goldsmith

Site Admin
Acton, Maine
Life in the Slow Lane

E-mail: Lee Goldsmith

Forum Admin
Admin

LeeGoldsmith

Group Comfort
Level:
: +7
By: T_Bone (offline)  Tuesday, May 21 2013 @ 11:28 AM EDT  

Although I have not personally done it....  Brandon or Ziggy as he is called around these parts spent a couple weeks fishing the surf last year and I know he was using an 8 wt rod and sand eel patterns.  I'm pretty sure that was all he was using too.  So that fly is a must have! He cuaght all kinds of fish with it.

Let us know how you do.

T~

T_Bone

Forum Salmon
Salmon

T_Bone

Group Comfort
Level:
: +4
By: Shaun H (offline)  Tuesday, May 21 2013 @ 11:52 AM EDT  

Thanks guys, even better. Would not have even thought about Parsons beach.   If I'm fishing something like a Sand Eel in the surf, what's the best method? Toss it into the roll and let the wave work it like I would with a spin cast rod?

Forum Fry
Fry

Shaun H

Group Comfort
Level:
By: T_Bone (offline)  Tuesday, May 21 2013 @ 01:10 PM EDT  

That would be my guess, as I have not actually done it myself.

T_Bone

Forum Salmon
Salmon

T_Bone

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Beaton (offline)  Tuesday, May 21 2013 @ 10:17 PM EDT  

Hi Shaun. I did some striper fishing years ago when I first got out of college and couldn't find work.  Fished Parsons beach a lot.  Had the best luck in the big pool just up from the mouth.  I saw a couple larger fish caught at the mouth and one time I was there they were getting 10 lb blues just out of casting range in the surf.  Breakers were just about over my head and I had to give up.  I had my best luck at night on black deceivers or clousers and I want to say I liked the pool closer to low tide.   I fished an old 9 weight and liked a sink tip or shooting head.  A casting basket is also really helpful in the salt water.  It keeps the line out of the seaweed and surf and sand and adds distance to your casts.  I just use a small rubber maid tote with holes drilled in the bottom and then a bungee cord around my waist.   

My brother in law has had good luck at Biddeford pool although I think he usually fishes from his boat.   

Forum Grilse
Grilse

Beaton

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Shaun H (offline)  Wednesday, May 22 2013 @ 09:07 AM EDT  

Thanks Beaton, much appreciated

Forum Fry
Fry

Shaun H

Group Comfort
Level:
By: T_Bone (offline)  Thursday, May 23 2013 @ 10:02 AM EDT  

I'm thinking about putting together something with old odds and ends I have been given to hit the surf, and something for pike fishing when I'm visiting Vermont.  I have a 9' fiberglass rod that is on the vintage side, and a pleuger reel that my father-in-law had on his salmon outfit when he lived in Alaska.  Just have to pick up some backing and line.  I figure a floating line with one of those sinking leaders I have been hearing great things about lately.  I really have to pick some of those up.  A friend tells me they make it unecessary to have a sinking line in your vest anymore.  He says the leader just pulls the floating line to the bottom when you use the heaviest one available.

T~

T_Bone

Forum Salmon
Salmon

T_Bone

Group Comfort
Level:
12 posts :: Page 1 of 2