Lee's Fishing Page
MAINE - Life in the Slow Lane
Welcome to Lee's Fishing Page
Friday, March 29 2024 @ 02:38 AM EDT
19 posts :: Page 1 of 2
By: Dave V (offline)  Sunday, April 21 2013 @ 11:26 AM EDT (Read 10641 times)  

Today is my first attempt at building a bamboo fly rod. If all goes well it is going to be a sick rod. Pictures later .

Sorry my pictures didn't come out all that well

Click to view image

Click to view image

Click to view image

Click to view image

Click to view image

Next place the guides and wrap them. I need way more practice with silk before jumping into that one

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was
cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time.
On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words,
and some of the words are theirs.

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Dave V

Group Comfort
Level:
: +7
By: LeeGoldsmith (offline)  Sunday, April 21 2013 @ 12:47 PM EDT  

Dave

I moved this to the appropriate forum.

See Yah
Thanks
Lee

Lee Goldsmith

Site Admin
Acton, Maine
Life in the Slow Lane

E-mail: Lee Goldsmith

Forum Admin
Admin

LeeGoldsmith

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Ktbone (offline)  Sunday, April 21 2013 @ 08:38 PM EDT  

Nice work Dave.  What taper did you end up getting? 

I have two more guides to finish wrapping then it's time for the urethane.  Unfortunately I cannot locate my camera so no picutures for me.  Wrapping silk is definetly different and a bit challenging. I found the most difficult part was cutting the blank so that both tip and butt were the same length while maintaining the taper throught the ferules. 

So what method are you going to use to finish the rod?  Dip, drain, spray, or drip?

-Keith
All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Ktbone

Group Comfort
Level:
: +6
mind...back in a
minute
By: Dave V (offline)  Sunday, April 21 2013 @ 08:55 PM EDT  

Keith I plan on dipping my rod. Have to come up with a way to do so first.  Now for taper I will get back with you on that one. I was lucky the rod blank came to me without any warps or twist. Although one tip is now a 1/2 inch shorter do to my stupidity but all is well I will use it for tight fishing spotsLaughing Out Loud

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Dave V

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Ktbone (offline)  Sunday, April 21 2013 @ 10:05 PM EDT  

I made a very simple dip tube set up.  about 4.5 foot of 1.25" PVC with end caps, I used a 5gal bucket with sand to hold it upright and plumb.  I used some old backing strung through some wire staples stuck in a overhead joist in the garage.  I then stapled plastic sheet around the set up to control dust.  The business end of the backing goes to an old flyreel clamped to a small rolling table.

So I have now finished wrapping and have the first coat of urethane on the threads, another 2-3 coats and I will be ready to level the threads, then off to the dip tube.

-Keith

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Ktbone

Group Comfort
Level:
mind...back in a
minute
By: Dave V (offline)  Monday, April 22 2013 @ 08:40 PM EDT  

That is so cool . Your moving right along . I am having trouble getting my ferrules together . The tip ones anyway. I was told to use emery cloth to take a little off the male end but I am a bit concerned with that advice. I want to make sure I can fix this before turning my wraps.

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Dave V

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Ktbone (offline)  Monday, April 22 2013 @ 10:00 PM EDT  

Noooo!!! Emery cloth is way too course.  Use 0000 steel wool and work slow, clean with alcohol and then test fit.  If they are way off then use some 800 grit, but they should not be that far off.  The fit should be snug and smooth and they should POP when you pull them apart.  It took me about 2hrs to get mine just right, but then again I am a fussass.

One other thing: before you start to lap the male ends, twist a piece of the 0000 steel wool to fit inside the female end and just clean it out (don't try to take off any material).  Then clean the inside with q-tips and alcohol until the tips come out spot-clean.

I got alot of great advice from a boo rod builder at the show in Maine and it made all the difference.  (for the life of me Lee I can't remember his name) 

Some other tips:

-when dipping run the blank in and out of the dip tube 2-3 times fast then bring it out slow and steady (3-4 inches a minute)

-pause when the guides hit the minascus and the finish will roll off the guides (makes clean up a lot easier)

-use Penitrol to thin urethane at no more than an 80/20 mix (urethane/Penitrol)

-seal the thread wraps with dilute 50/50 urethane for 3-4 coats, trim fuzzies, and sand smooth(400grit). Final finish with 100% urethane

-Keith

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Ktbone

Group Comfort
Level:
mind...back in a
minute
By: Dave V (offline)  Monday, April 22 2013 @ 10:22 PM EDT  

Thanks Keith I will give it a try .

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Dave V

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Beaton (offline)  Tuesday, April 23 2013 @ 07:22 PM EDT  

The rod looks great.  What kind of urethane do you use in the dip tube?  Talked with a rod builder yesterday and got to wiggle a couple blanks including a little one piece 6 footer for the brooks.  Looking forward to hearing how your rods work out. 

Forum Grilse
Grilse

Beaton

Group Comfort
Level:
: +3
By: Ktbone (offline)  Tuesday, April 23 2013 @ 08:40 PM EDT  

Funny you should ask that.  When I was researching this build I looked up every urethane known to man.  Then after talking to several rod builders they all used the same thing, Helmsman SPAR urethane available at any hardware store.  The place where they differed was thinning vs full strength and what to thin with.  I chose to go with Penatrol Marine (had some on hand) and to only thin the dip tube urethane by 20%.  For my thread wrap I went 50/50 using mineral spirits.

-Keith

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Ktbone

Group Comfort
Level:
mind...back in a
minute
19 posts :: Page 1 of 2