Lee's Fishing Page
MAINE - Life in the Slow Lane
Welcome to Lee's Fishing Page
Wednesday, April 17 2024 @ 10:56 PM EDT
11 posts :: Page 1 of 2
By: ValleyFisher (offline)  Sunday, March 24 2013 @ 11:53 AM EDT (Read 13456 times)  

Hello brother anglers, and greetings from the Black Hills of South Dakota.  I am a life-long resident of Rapid City which sits at the foot-hills of Mt. Rushmore.   We have miles of terrific stream fishing, the best of it running almost through downtown Rapid City.

Fly fishing here was a forgotten art when I was a kid.  Everybody fished with bait and spinners.   Then a local fly shop opened up and all that changed.    When I was a kid I would get instructional books about fishing from the local library.  Some of them talked about hatches and tying flies.  I tried to figure all this out, but it was a mystery.   I tied some really ugly flies with bait hooks, common feathers found on the ground, and sewing thread.   I used an old Xacto knife for a vice.   Some of them worked for bass, but I wasn't successful catching trout with them.

I began fly fishing in the spring of 91.  I was very fortunate to have a neighbor across the street who was a professional fly fishing guide.   I ran into him on the stream one day and it didn't take much observation by him to see that I didn't have a clue.   He gave me some basic instruction on stream entomology, finding the fish, and tying key patterns with appropriate and quality material.   Before long I was becoming a proficient angler and passing on instruction to others.

What I love most about fly fishing is that one can set his own parameters on his sport.   I prefer to catch fish only on rods I build myself with flies that I have tied.   I like to see how many different species of fish I can catch with my fly rods in one year.

I also like float tubing the lakes here in the Black Hills.  I have spent many happy days on the lake with my son or a friend, catching magnificent trout with various lake-bug patterns.   I hope to contribute some of my experiences and images for this web, and I hope you will enjoy them.

Best Fishes!

Jay Hieb

Fishing  

Click to view image

¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Forum Fry
Fry

ValleyFisher

Group Comfort
Level:
: +2
Dakota
By: Dave V (offline)  Sunday, March 24 2013 @ 12:06 PM EDT  

Welcome to Lee's site Jay. It is sure going to be nice having local form the Black Hills contributing so folks back in New England can see what we have to offer. I am looking forward to the weather warming up so we can fish together. Now I will have someone to take photos and video also the other way around. For those of you who are about to meet Jay let me first tell you he quite modest. He will tell you his flies come out ugly but in all reality they are works of art. His talent carries over to his rods he builds. He is one heck of a nymph fisherman. He is a great family man as well . I am glad he has joined the site. Once he figures out how to post pictures and stories he will be a great addition to the fly fishing family we have here . Dave V

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was
cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time.
On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words,
and some of the words are theirs.

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Dave V

Group Comfort
Level:
: +7
By: Koda (offline)  Sunday, March 24 2013 @ 12:36 PM EDT  

Welcome Jay! I'm sure Dave has already told you some of us on here are touched. Me inparticularBig Grin Maybe now with someone to give Dave a good kick in the ball bag when he starts them rain dances we'll get a chance to fish out this way without drowningMr. Green

"Life is a journey, not a destination. Take the time to enjoy the gifts of the Great Spirit along the way." Coug2wolfs ~ Dances With Bears

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Koda

Group Comfort
Level:
: +4
By: Dave V (offline)  Sunday, March 24 2013 @ 12:39 PM EDT  

Koda you were the first one I warned him about Mr. Green

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Dave V

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Koda (offline)  Sunday, March 24 2013 @ 01:07 PM EDT  

Good then, we're off to a great start, the playing field is level Big Grin  It took many a year for my true character to emerge, but in the end it paid big dividends. Now when I hit the water I got it all to myself. Same in the deer woods. They see my truck and they head the other way. "Don't go near the sonofabitch, he's crazier than a bird in a clock". Works out great. They don't scare the bageez outa my beavers or terrorize my chipmunks. Life is good Mr. Green

"Life is a journey, not a destination. Take the time to enjoy the gifts of the Great Spirit along the way." Coug2wolfs ~ Dances With Bears

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Koda

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Ktbone (offline)  Sunday, March 24 2013 @ 07:10 PM EDT  

Welcome aboard Jay.  Now that we have someone close to Dave maybe you can get him to keep his pants on and stop dancing under the full moon.   As far as Koda goes, his bark is worse than his bite, however he does fit the profile that could snap at any moment Big Grin

We do like to have a bit of fun around here and on occasion talk a bit about fishing.

Enjoy and welcome to the pool,

Keith

-Keith
All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Ktbone

Group Comfort
Level:
: +6
mind...back in a
minute
By: Koda (offline)  Sunday, March 24 2013 @ 08:03 PM EDT  

It ain't me ya gotta worry about, it's my Friends Big Grin

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Koda

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Dave V (offline)  Sunday, March 24 2013 @ 08:20 PM EDT  

Yup someone has a few screws looseLaughing Out Loud

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Dave V

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Dave V (offline)  Sunday, March 24 2013 @ 08:22 PM EDT  

Quote by: ValleyFisher

Hello brother anglers, and greetings from the Black Hills of South Dakota.  I am a life-long resident of Rapid City which sits at the foot-hills of Mt. Rushmore.   We have miles of terrific stream fishing, the best of it running almost through downtown Rapid City.

Fly fishing here was a forgotten art when I was a kid.  Everybody fished with bait and spinners.   Then a local fly shop opened up and all that changed.    When I was a kid I would get instructional books about fishing from the local library.  Some of them talked about hatches and tying flies.  I tried to figure all this out, but it was a mystery.   I tied some really ugly flies with bait hooks, common feathers found on the ground, and sewing thread.   I used an old Xacto knife for a vice.   Some of them worked for bass, but I wasn't successful catching trout with them.

I began fly fishing in the spring of 91.  I was very fortunate to have a neighbor across the street who was a professional fly fishing guide.   I ran into him on the stream one day and it didn't take much observation by him to see that I didn't have a clue.   He gave me some basic instruction on stream entomology, finding the fish, and tying key patterns with appropriate and quality material.   Before long I was becoming a proficient angler and passing on instruction to others.

What I love most about fly fishing is that one can set his own parameters on his sport.   I prefer to catch fish only on rods I build myself with flies that I have tied.   I like to see how many different species of fish I can catch with my fly rods in one year.

I also like float tubing the lakes here in the Black Hills.  I have spent many happy days on the lake with my son or a friend, catching magnificent trout with various lake-bug patterns.   I hope to contribute some of my experiences and images for this web, and I hope you will enjoy them.

Best Fishes!

Jay Hieb

Fishing  

Nice picture Jay

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Dave V

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Koda (offline)  Monday, March 25 2013 @ 02:07 PM EDT  

Quote by: Dave V

Yup someone has a few screws looseLaughing Out Loud

LMFAO Laughing Out LoudMr. GreenLaughing Out Loud

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Koda

Group Comfort
Level:
11 posts :: Page 1 of 2