Lee's Fishing Page
MAINE - Life in the Slow Lane
Welcome to Lee's Fishing Page
Friday, April 19 2024 @ 04:13 PM EDT
13 posts :: Page 1 of 2
By: sebastian (offline)  Sunday, June 10 2012 @ 09:19 PM EDT (Read 7212 times)  

Hi guys! I am in the process of writing an article for a fishing magazine in Romania regarding the history of atlantic salmon on the east coast, including initial decline, restauration efforts and current data and i was wondering if any of you has some information, links to share, anything that would help me paint a pretty detailed and clear picture of what happened here over the past 2 centuries since we started building dams, all the way to the current efforts of returning to wild, natural, sustainable migrations in some of the rivers. I would like to focus on Penobscot and Merrimack, but welcome all kind of information, I will do the sifting myself. Thanks!

Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God.

Forum Salmon
Salmon

sebastian

Group Comfort
Level:
: +3
By: Dave V (offline)  Sunday, June 10 2012 @ 09:38 PM EDT  

You could get a bunch of info from TU and  Maine's Atlantic Salmon Federation.  Also Lee has some info here on his site look at his submitted stories right under the forums.  Good luck.

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was
cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time.
On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words,
and some of the words are theirs.

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Dave V

Group Comfort
Level:
: +7
By: LeeGoldsmith (offline)  Monday, June 11 2012 @ 08:11 AM EDT  

Sebastian

I really think your best source of information is the Atlantic Salmon Federation.  This should give some history and what is happening right now to the Salmon stocks in the US and Canada.  Obviously Canada has it much better then we do because they have not had the dam construction we had in the early years of this country.  If I come across any more info I will post it here for you.  Also use the search option here at LFP and see what shows up for "Atlantic Salmon".  I believe that there is a small number of things listed here already.

Hope this helps and please post your article here if you can.

See Yah
Thanks
Lee

Lee Goldsmith

Site Admin
Acton, Maine
Life in the Slow Lane

E-mail: Lee Goldsmith

Forum Admin
Admin

LeeGoldsmith

Group Comfort
Level:
By: LeeGoldsmith (offline)  Monday, June 11 2012 @ 09:23 AM EDT  

Sebastian

Check out this video by Bill Green about the Sandy River in Maine.  This is how they are working today to bring back the Salmon in Maine.

Hope this helps.

See Yah
Thanks
Lee

Lee Goldsmith

Site Admin
Acton, Maine
Life in the Slow Lane

Forum Admin
Admin

LeeGoldsmith

Group Comfort
Level:
By: Fish Carva (offline)  Monday, June 11 2012 @ 03:30 PM EDT  

You might want to try reaching out to Jeff Reardon. He's a director for Maine TU. He's not a salmon guy but he's tuned into the guys with the Maine salmon restoration projects and might be able to point you in a good direction.

Trout Unlimited Staff Directory

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Fish Carva

Group Comfort
Level:
: +4
By: Koda (offline)  Tuesday, June 12 2012 @ 11:05 AM EDT  

Let me see if I can get Bill Carney in touch with you Brother. He's a former F&G Comissioner and has and still is involved with the project. He tells me it's becoming better and better for fish returning from the sea.

"Life is a journey, not a destination. Take the time to enjoy the gifts of the Great Spirit along the way." Coug2wolfs ~ Dances With Bears

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Koda

Group Comfort
Level:
: +4
By: sebastian (offline)  Wednesday, June 13 2012 @ 12:26 AM EDT  

thanks guys, I appreciate your suggestions! will be studying!!!!

Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God.

Forum Salmon
Salmon

sebastian

Group Comfort
Level:
: +3
By: Ktbone (offline)  Wednesday, June 13 2012 @ 11:22 AM EDT  

Check out the history of the textile industry in New England (Lowell Mass and Manchester NH) that was the major source of dams and destruction along the Merrimack River.

Example Amoskeg falls then:

moskeag_Falls,_Manchester,_NH.jpg">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FileAngelmoskeag_Falls,_Manchester,_NH.jpg

And now:

http://www.waymarking.com/gallery/image.aspx?f=1&guid=3a6607c3-df21-4f59-9103-1dd1572c53f5

and efforts to restore:

http://www.amoskeagfishways.org/

The abundant river fish and forest game in the Merrimack River Valley attracted the attention of the Native American Pennacooks long before the European traders and trappers arrived in the valley in the early 1700s. The Pennacooks called the river falls area "Namoskeag," meaning "place of much fish." A permanent white settlement was established in 1722 by Scots-Irish Presbyterians who saw the manufacturing potential of the falls, which came to be called the Amoskeag Falls. Until their factories were built, they subsisted on fishing and logging. They later used the 85-foot drop of the Amoskeag Falls to power their textile mills

-Keith
All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Ktbone

Group Comfort
Level:
: +6
mind...back in a
minute
By: LeeGoldsmith (offline)  Wednesday, June 13 2012 @ 11:45 AM EDT  

Hi keith

On your last post here the first link is not correct, looks like a copy problem.  Keith go here to see how to do links that will open in a new page/tab and make it easier for the user to navigate between two sites.

I will let you figure out what is wrong on that first link.

See Yah
Thanks
Lee

Lee Goldsmith

Site Admin
Acton, Maine
Life in the Slow Lane

Forum Admin
Admin

LeeGoldsmith

Group Comfort