Lee's Fishing Page
MAINE - Life in the Slow Lane
Welcome to Lee's Fishing Page
Tuesday, May 21 2024 @ 08:26 PM EDT
40 posts :: Page 1 of 4
By: LeeGoldsmith (online)  Thursday, May 01 2008 @ 12:50 PM EDT (Read 16110 times)  

This topic was started in another thread on the site so I have started a new thread for this subject.

My Two cents is this, yes I think it is a good idea for non-residents to have to have a Guide in New Brunswick. Its good for the economy of the area and gives many people work at a time when work may be scarse.

Lee

Lee Goldsmith

Site Admin
Acton, Maine
Life in the Slow Lane

E-mail: Lee Goldsmith

Forum Admin
Admin

LeeGoldsmith

Group Comfort
Level:
: +7
By: Mike (offline)  Thursday, May 01 2008 @ 03:21 PM EDT  

Yes B)

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Mike

Group Comfort
Level:
: +5
Scotia Canada
By: Anonymous: Richard ()  Thursday, May 01 2008 @ 04:40 PM EDT  

Hi Mike...So, if I was friends with you and I went to visit you for a weekend, you have a salmon pool outside your door or close by, should I have to pay you to fish??? I'm sure every individual would feel the same way. Now, if I were to fly into say NewFoundland or Northern Quebec, then yes a guid should be manditory...Don't get me wrong either, it's a great idea to have someone knowlageble with you out there for many reasons, safety being number one.

Anyways, I'm just dying to get out on the river. The might Saint John river here in NB is starting to decrease in height...

By: caddisfly4 (offline)  Thursday, May 01 2008 @ 06:45 PM EDT  

Personally I think it should be up to the individual to choose to hire one. I have hired guides to show me an area I have never been to. And I have hired guides when traveling to Wyoming and Utah for the knowledge they posess, but I've never hired one just to help out with the economy. Imagine if that was the case then when fishing in any area other than your home location you had to hire a guide I would be broke. And I wouldn't be fishing in 3 states this year and hopefully Nova Scotia and I couldn't go more than once to any area. I stay at lodges, eat in restaurants and by gas, licenses and even flies from time to time. Just my opinion, I don't think any of us are that rich that we would be able to fish an area a dozen times this year and have to hire a guide each time you go. That practice would surely put a damper on my excursions, and thank GOD it's not required in the states, at least not yet.

"THE TUG IS THE DRUG"

Living the Dream, Tight Lines

BILL

Forum Salmon
Salmon

caddisfly4

Group Comfort
Level:
By: xray (offline)  Thursday, May 01 2008 @ 09:12 PM EDT  

I think if you can fish in my province without a guide then I should be able to fish in yours without a guide.

I see a lot of out of province and country fishing in Nova Scotia without a guide.

Not fair, we require a guide to fish in other provinces.

Ray

Ray- Happy on the Miramichi !!!!!

Forum Smolt
Smolt

xray

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1
By: Dave V (offline)  Thursday, May 01 2008 @ 09:44 PM EDT  

As for me , I have to say that it should be up to the individual to decide. I think most people who travel to that destination for Atlantic Salmon would acquire a guide anyway. The first time that is. I would the first time but if I were to return I would most likely want to fish without the aide of a guide. Why have the added exspense ?. Just my 2 pennies. Sorry if this offends anybody.

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was
cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time.
On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words,
and some of the words are theirs.

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Dave V

Group Comfort
Level:
: +7
By: Mike (offline)  Friday, May 02 2008 @ 06:29 AM EDT  

Quote by: Richard

Hi Mike...So, if I was friends with you and I went to visit you for a weekend, you have a salmon pool outside your door or close by, should I have to pay you to fish??? .

Richard as Ray stated, here in NS you don't need a guide to fish, so I won't charge you when you come over the Bay salmon fishing Wink In NB thats what the Guide 2 license is for so that you can take family and friends from out of province fishing without having to charge them ( BTW if you have a friend thats a Guide 1 he doesn't have to charge you either).

Dave its like anything else there are rules and for whatever reason they are in place , they are !!!! I still say its always good to have a guide if your unfamilliar with the water /woods, it'll help you find fish / game better and be confident in finding your way around.

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Mike

Group Comfort
Level:
Scotia Canada
By: Mike (offline)  Friday, May 02 2008 @ 06:31 AM EDT  

Quote by: Dave+V

Sorry if this offends anybody.

Davey Boy

You will never offend me Brother and I'm sure when you come up Salmon Fishing Stephen's fee will be reasonable and you should bring a couple of extra rods Wink

Forum Salmon
Salmon

Mike

Group Comfort
Level:
Scotia Canada
By: xray (offline)  Friday, May 02 2008 @ 07:33 AM EDT  

I think New Brunswick has a very good system.
1. The companion guide license. For non resident friends and relatives.
2. People born in New Brunswick and owning property can obtain a resident license.

For sure people new to the area require a guide and should be happy to pay one.

We should have the same system in Nova Scotia.

Ray

Ray- Happy on the Miramichi !!!!!

Forum Smolt
Smolt

xray

Group Comfort
Level:
: +1
By: Mike (offline)  Friday, May 02 2008 @ 11:27 AM EDT  

I agree 110% Ray Mr. Green

Forum Salmon
Salmon